The current Maintenance and Operations Levy expires December 31, 2020. Schools in the State of Washington rely on local levies to pay for basic services and operating expenses that are not fully paid by the state.
These levy dollars provide funding for basic education services and day-to-day operating expenses that are not fully funded by the state or federal education money such as:
- Regular classroom and special program teachers and assistants.
- Athletics and activities.
- Transportation costs.
- Technology Technology.
- Library services.
- Nursing services.
- Swimming pool and auditorium expenses.
- Classroom furniture, materials and equipment.
- Support for students at risk.
- Utilities and Liability Insurance.
- Maintenance and repair of existing facilities.
- Campus Security.
These programs and services are necessary for quality education.
Many of these programs and services are required, but since the district does not receive adequate funding from the state or federal government, the district depends on levy funds to provide these services for students.