OBJH Principal Interviews
(Date Posted 3/25/2015)
On Wednesday, April 1st, the district will be conducting interviews for the principal position at Oakland Bay Jr. High. Part of the selection process will include an opportunity for parents to meet with each candidate and provide input to the superintendent.
Therefore, you are invited to meet the candidates at Oakland Bay J.H. at the following times.
Wednesday, April 1, 2015
8:30 a.m. (1st Candidate)
10:15 a.m. (2nd Candidate)
11:45 a.m. (3rd Candidate)
If you plan to attend any of the sessions above, please arrive in plenty of time to be seated by the start time. Each session is scheduled to last for ½ hour.
Thank you for your interest in your child’s education and helping us select a qualified, visionary leader for Oakland Bay Junior High!
Oakland Bay Jr. High Principal Selection Committee
Jennifer Deyette Hired as Director of State and Federal Programs
(Date Posted 3/27/2015)
The school board recently approved the hiring of Jennifer Deyette into the Director of State and Federal Programs position for the 2015-16 school year. Jennifer has been serving as the Interim Director this past school year. Prior to this, she served as the Interim Principal at OBJH for the 13-14 school year and has been a math teacher in the district since 1993.
Glenn Shorten Hired as Technology Director
(Date Posted 3/27/2015)
The school board recently approved Glenn Shorten as the District’s Technology Director. Glenn has been the Interim Director for the past couple of years. Prior to serving in the interim director role, he worked as the Technology Coordinator. He also taught in the district from 1985 to 1999.
Options for Physical Education Credit
(Date Posted 3/27/2015)
The Shelton School District is reviewing options for PE credit while looking over the Washington State College and Career Ready Graduation Requirements for 24 credits for graduation. The new requirement will be for 1.5 credits of physical education. A summary of the options is listed followed with links to the full document and the proposed accompanying forms for the options.
1) Enroll in a PE class at OBJH, Shelton High School, or CHOICE High School.
- All options available in the course catalog grades 9-12
- Parent request for high school credit for 8th grade P.E. (Fast Start -- .5 high school PE credit (Pass – no grade) that fulfills knowledge component of fitness graduation requirements)
2) Enroll in a cross-credit class that has the option of fulfilling a P.E. credit requirement
- SHS: Healthy You
- CHOICE: ALE Options
3) Participate in an alternative ASB supported school based activity that has the option of fulfilling a P.E. credit requirement (requires documentation of physical activity but assumes knowledge component of fitness is fulfilled through previous enrollment in a PE class or participation in the activity)
- Marching Band
4) Participate in an alternative non-school based activity that has the option of fulfilling a P.E. credit (assumes knowledge component of fitness is fulfilled through previous enrollment in a PE class, or requires documentation that both physical activity and knowledge component of fitness)
- Community Athletic Programs
- Organized Activities
- Cultural Events
5) Apply for a waiver of P.E. that does not generate credit but fulfills graduation requirements
- Allowable reasons include physical disability, religious belief
(Date Posted 3/19/2015)
The Shelton School District Board of Directors is delighted to announce our selection for Superintendent of our district. Dr Alex Apostle will replace our current Interim Superintendent, Dr Art Jarvis on July 1, 2015.
The Board has conducted a thorough and rigorous selection process that included multiple meetings by staff and community members to vet the candidates. The applicant pool included well-qualified educational professionals from all over the United States.
We were fortunate to have three top quality educational finalists to invite into the school district for daylong meetings March 16 -18. The Board acknowledges and thanks the public and district employees for their input and feedback in this most important decision for the school district.
We have instructed our consultant, Dr Mike Boring to enter into contract negotiations with Dr Apostle.
We believe that Dr Apostle's experience and accomplishments will serve to our advantage as we continue on with the Shelton School District mission:
"A shared commitment to provide the most effective education to all students so they live successful lives.
President, Shelton School Board of Directors
School Calendar Set for 2015-16 School Year
(Date Posted 2/25/2015)
The school board adopted the 2015-2016 school calendar at their meeting on February 24th. You can view the new calendar and other calendars at the following web locations:
Educational Funding and the 2015 Legislative Session
(Date Posted 1/13/2015)
The 2015 Legislative Session could be one of the most challenging in decades. The reason is education funding.
The Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction has created materials (including a short video) that explain the basics of education funding and the State Supreme Court case McCleary v. State of Washington: http://www.k12.wa.us/LegisGov/Session2015.aspx. If you have any questions or comments about the documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.